St George’s Anglican Church, Malvern
Architect: Samuel Merrett 1869, Robert Dalton & John Gibbins 1885, Urban Billing 1888, Rodney Alsop 1923
South | S06
St George’s Church is a beautiful example of neo-Gothic architecture in the Early English style that forms a living centre of worship for an active congregation. Begun in 1865 to the design of Samuel Headen Merrett, it is classified by the National Trust. The interior contains a suite of excellent stained glass by Clayton and Bell.
From its foundation the church has been an integral part of the historical Malvern Civic Precinct formed by the Malvern Town Hall, the police station, the former court house, and the recreation ground. It is set in a well-maintained churchyard that includes the vicarage (which is older that the church building), the Parish Centre, including the Parish Hall, and the beautiful Memorial Garden which is the resting place of the ashes of many hundred former parishioners.
Guided tours lead by parish archivist Dr Brian Corless OAM. Services held on Sundays at 8am, 10am and 5pm – all welcome.
296 Glenferrie Road, Malvern 3144, Malvern VIC