Footscray Town Hall
Architect: Joseph Plottel, 1936
City of Maribyrnong | M02
The interior of the former Footscray Town Hall is a fine example of a civic building designed in the Streamlined Moderne style. Notable internal features include the entrance lobby with mosaic tile floor which is one of the best inter-war examples in Melbourne, bronze balustrades with nickel plated handrails, unusual black marble columns, ornamental plasterwork, Queensland maple panelling, and the Moderne timber screen and clock behind the mayoral chair in the council chamber. Outside, the grounds retain their original landscaping, reputedly laid out by David Matthews, the City of Footscray’s Superintendent of Parks & Gardens (1916-64). The coloured concrete paving, brick and iron boundary fence, ornamental lamps, and the formal arrangement of the garden which includes two fantastic examples of Cedrus deodara trees, are features which combine to reinforce the symmetry and cultural integrity of the town hall building and forecourt.
Bill Horrocks, former Mayor of the City of Maribyrnong 2000 and 2002, and his wife Heather, artist, writer and advocate for the Footscray community for nearly 20 years, will guide visitors through the Footscray Town Hall’s original heritage sections including the council chambers, reception hall, entrance lobby and portico.
61 Napier St, Footscray 3011, Footscray VIC